For the past 20 years, the European Smalltalk User Group (ESUG) has organised the International Smalltalk Conference, a lively forum on cutting edge software technologies that attract people from both academia and industry for a whole week. The attendees are both engineers using Smalltalk in business and students and teachers using Smalltalk both for research and didactic purposes.
This year's edition of the largest European Smalltalk event will include:
- The regular Smalltalk developers conference with renowned invited speakers
- a Smalltalk camp that proved fruitful for interactions and discussions (August 25-26)
- 9th edition of the Innovation Technology Awards where prizes will be awarded to authors of best pieces of Smalltalk-related projects
- IWST: an international workshop on Smalltalk and dynamic languages
You can support the ESUG conference in many different ways:
- Sponsor the conference. New sponsoring packages are described at http://www.esug.org/About/SupportESUG
- Submit a talk, a software or a paper to one of the events. See below.
- Attend the conference. We'd like to beat the previous record of attendance (170 people at Amsterdam)!
- Students can get free registration and hosting if they enroll into the the Student Volunteers program. See below.
1) Developers Forum: International Smalltalk Developers Conference
This year we are looking for YOUR experience on using Smalltalk. In addition, we are looking for tutorials. The list of topics includes, but is not limited to the following:
- XP practices
- Development tools
- Experience reports
- Model driven development
- Web development
- Team management
- New libraries & frameworks
- Educational material
- Embedded systems and robotics
- SOA and Web services
- Interaction with other programming languages
Submissions due on 15 June 2012
Notification of acceptance on 25 June 2012
How to submit?
Pay attention: the places are limited so do not wait till the last minute to apply. Prospective presenters should submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org following the template below. Please use this template since the emails will be automatically processed!
Subject: [ESUG 2012 Developers] + your nameFirst Name:Last Name:Email where you can always be reached:Title:Abstract: (max 1400 characters)Bio: (max 1400 characters)
Any presentation not respecting this form will be discarded automatically
2) Innovation Technology Award
We are proud to announce the 9th Innovation Technology Awards. The top 3 teams with the most innovative software will receive, respectively, 500 Euros, 300 Euros and 200 Euros during an awards ceremony at the conference. Developers of any Smalltalk-based software are welcome to
compete. This year we will request 3-5min videos.
More information at: http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/Innovation-Technology-Awards
3) International Workshop - IWST 2012
International Workshop on Smalltalk Technologies, August 28
The goals of the workshop is to create a forum around advances or experience in Smalltalk and to trigger discussions and exchanges of ideas. Participants are invited to submit research articles. We will not enforce any length restriction. Nevertheless, we expect papers of two kinds:
- Short position papers describing emerging ideas.
- Long research papers with deeper description of experiments and of research results.
We welcome research papers on all aspects, theoretical as well as practical, of Smalltalk related topics. All accepted papers will be published in ACM DL, and the authors of the best papers will be invited to submit an extended version to a journal special issue (to be confirmed).
Submissions deadline: June 15, 2012
Notification of acceptance: July 15, 2012
More information at: http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/International-Workshop---IWST-2012
4) Student Volunteer Program
If you are a student wanting to attend ESUG, have you considered being a student volunteer? Student volunteers help keep the conference running smoothly; in return, they have free accommodations, while still having most of the time to enjoy the conference.
More information at: http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2012/StudentVolunteers
5) Free ESUG tickets program
ESUG will offer 10 free entrance tickets. To get a free ticket you should send a mail to email@example.com
Subject: [ESUG 2012 Free entrance] + your name
And you should write a small motivation.
We hope to see you there and have fun together.
The ESUG board
Board mailing list: firstname.lastname@example.org